CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads, expectant Dads, birth fathers and men that fill the role of Dad when they don't have to. I am honoring three men on this Father's Day.

First, my own Dad. To say that I was a Daddy's girl growing up would be an understatement. I was a HUGE Daddy's girl. Anywhere he went, anything he did, I was right there with him. He has always made me feel special, beautiful and I always knew that no matter what, he would always love me. We had a secret handshake for years that I have long since forgotten, there were many mornings I woke up to notes he left me before he left for work and I knew that he meant every word. On top of his love and affection for me, I saw every day how much he loves my Mom. I believe the fact that he was (and is) such a doting Father is the reason why I was a very picky dater and married the man I did. I knew how a man was supposed to treat a lady and would not settle for anything less. Even though I am all grown up, I will forever be his little girl.

Second, my daughter's birth father, Jon. Here is a man that made the unselfish decision to place his daughter for adoption. In all of our preparation for adoption, a lot of attention if put on the birth mother and no one really talked about the birth father and his role. Sadly, part of that is because they are not involved. But Jon was and is. I will never, ever forget the tears and pain he showed right after Mia was born. He came out to the waiting room and said she was the most beautiful baby he had ever seen. He asked us if we were ready to be parents and we mumbled something like, "Sure!" at which point he put his head in this hands, started crying and said he wished he was. During the next four days, we saw just how much this birth father loved his little girl and wanted the best for her. Since her birth, he made an effort to stay involved in her life and always shows her how much he loves her.

Finally, my husband and my little girls' Daddy. Shortly after we started dating, we began talking about marriage, kids and what we would name our children. There was never a doubt in my mind that he would be an unbelievable father. And when becoming parents proved more difficult for us, he was there for me. He cried with me, prayed with me and supported me when I said I didn't want to do anymore infertility treatment and thought adoption was the route we should go. When our first daughter, Mia, was born there were some complications at birth and we were standing at the hall door when the NICU team rolled her down the hall. All I saw was a baby, wrapped in this foil looking blanket. But he saw her tiny little face peeking out with her eyes wide open. Even though we did not know for sure if we were going to get to be her Mom and Dad, he fell head over heels in love. While she was in the NICU, he prayed over her and promised anything under the moon if she would get better. No one is really prepared to be a parent, but given we only had a week to prepare, he amazed me at the way he stepped up. Then, when we found out I was pregnant, he was overjoyed at the idea of having another baby, but immediately, his heart was concerned for Mia and immediately became aware of how us having a biological child might affect her one day. When we found out it was another girl, you never saw a man so happy. Two Daddy's girls, could it get any better??? He took such good care of me during the pregnancy, talked and thumped Livi because he thought it was funny that she would kick me so hard when he did. When it came time for delivery, once again, I was amazed at this amazing man I had married. He was so supportive, so concerned and so utterly happy. He has proven to me what I knew nearly 14 years ago when we were in high school - he is an awesome Daddy. He knows what it takes to be a good Dad and goes above and beyond that.

Remember to tell your Dad or even someone else's Dad tomorrow what a great job they are doing, or have done.

0 comments: