CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 9, 2008

What am I doing?

Here lately, there are way more days of me saying, "I suck at parenting" than there are of "Wow, today was a good day." Way back yonder when we were trying SO hard to have a baby, we would watch other parents and say, "Why can't they control their child?" or "My kids will NEVER act like!" We prayed and told God (I know, laugh away!) that if He would just bless us with a child, we would do right by him/her. Well, he has blessed us far beyond what we deserve with two beautiful daughters. Our oldest, Mia, is almost 3 and our baby, Livi, is 5 months. Obviously, Livi is very well behaved, but her sister, not so much. We have cried, prayed, read books...you name it to try and figure out where we are going wrong as parents. Don't get me wrong. Mia is such a sweet, thoughtful girl and her intelligence is sometimes frightening. I mean, she says and does things that most 5 and 6 year olds don't. However, she is unbelievably strong-willed and would just as soon deal with whatever discipline she is going to receive just to get her way. Now I find that I am the one getting looks from people with that look that means, "Why can't you control your child?" Oh, and let's not even talk about all the unsolicited advice I receive from well-meaning friends and family. I sound like a broken record at most family get togethers...."She's only two. Quit expecting her to act like she is 5." Of course, I don't ever want to be one of those parents that is constantly making up excuses for their children't bad behavior. But come on, they don't call them the terrible twos for nothing.

So, another day ends with me questioning my parenting abilities wondering what I can do differently tomorrow to get through that sweet, thick head!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh hon...people are ALWAYS going to think something about everyone's life. If it's not thier behavior...it's how smart they are...or how well they are coordinated, or how they speak.

Mia is a great little girl who is very spirited. You keep doing a great job at being consistent & she will eventually come around. Give yourself a break (and some chocolate). No parent is perfect, the best we can do is try!!! You ARE good parents. I mean...not only is SHE only two but you have only been at this for TWO years!! You are still new too!! ((hugs))

Natalie

Amy said...

All I can say is I understand! That's why I was asking you about discipline! One of our babysitters is giving us a good example though... although Jules responds to it well.

Celeste said...

OMG girl! You are going through EXACTLY what we went through with Dylan when he was that age...and kinda still are. Dylan is probably the most strong willed person I've ever known. He pushed and pushed and pushed buttons and tested (and still tests) his boundries and I have sobbed many a nights wondering what I've done wrong. What I could do differently and what needed to change. It was so bad and all I can say is PRAY!! We had to turn to God because we didn't have the strength. We needed God's strength, wisdom and discernment. Dylan eventually grew out of it and grew up and is quite more pleasant that he use to be. So all I can say is hang in there, it gets better!!