CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sick babies and new schedules

While I am really not sure who, if anybody reads this, it gives me an outlet to write - something I have always secretly enjoyed, so write I shall.

The last week has been full of sickness, new schedules and more sickness. Mia came down with a bug on Father's day. Nothing major. Her only symptoms were a low-grade fever and a clear, runny nose. Within 24 hours, she was fine. Then on Monday, my sweet little Livi caught and was officially sick for the first time. Her fever got a little higher than big 'sis's, so I took her to the doctor on Tuesday to make sure it wasn't an ear infection...something big 'sis was VERY prone to at this age. Everything checked out ok, so back home we went. By Wednesday, everyone was well but after a few days of anything goes, which is what needs to happen when your babies are sick, Mia was really acting out and I was at the end of my rope. Evan and I had been talking a LOT lately about her behavior and ways we could modify it without screaming and threatening spankings all the time. We talked about it and decided that we should try a stricter schedule. I mean, she has always had a schedule, but it was really more of a, "Ya feel like a snack? Let's get a snack." type of schedule. So, I put all those years of preschool teaching to work and came up with a schedule for us that is broken up into 30 minute increments. I prayed over it Wednesday night and decided that Thursday would be inauguration day. All I can say is WOW!!!! We had an awesome day. Not only was Mia better behaved, but I had also created time during the day for Mommy chores, so by the time I went to bed Thursday night, I felt like I had not only done a great job with Mia, but gotten so much accomplished around the house. Friday was also a great day, so it looks like we may be on to something. Maybe....

Of course, I knew things were going way too smoothly on Sunday. The house was clean, I was caught up on all the laundry, Mia was behaving better and even little Livi was sleeping through the night. I had not felt well all day Saturday and figured I was coming down with the same stuff the girls' had. We spent most of Sunday at my parents' helping them unpack and get stuff done. We went to dinner in the evening and my tummy just didn't feel well. By the time we got home, it was really hurting. We got the girls to bed and decided to watch Juno. (I'll post about it later seeing as how it would be close to my heart.) Anyway, about 20 minutes into it, I had to run to the bathroom. I kept that up off and on all night and when Evan's alarm went off Monday morning, I told him I thought I had fever and needed him to stay home from work. Boy, was I glad he did. My fever got up to 101 and I stayed sick until late afternoon. Fortunately, the bug only lasted through Monday and by Tuesday, I was pretty much back to normal. Of course, the house is no longer clean, the laundry is piling up and Mia's behavior is starting to get a little wacky again. I now seem to have the cold the girls had last week (when it rains, it pours) and have yet to get back to our wonderful schedule. However, I know when we do, we will all feel and act so much better.

Ok, just reread everything and Mia gets lots of blogtime and Livi gets what...three sentences. Poor baby. It stinks to be the second-born. Here is what Livi is doing these days: rolling over and moving all over the place, sitting up and playing like a big girl, cracking herself up with her toys and my absolute favorite...she shakes her head from side to side when she is laying down or still in my arms after nursing her. She does it purely for a reaction, which we of course happily oblige her with. Oh, she is such a sweet baby. It's hard to believe her Daddy would do this.



But, he did! He calls her Yoda because her ears stick out...a little, not a lot. Anyway, I told him to find a picture last night for her baby dedication at church and when I got out of the shower, this is what awaited to me. Needless to say, we aren't using this picture, but I will be printing it out for her baby book!

Alright, I can hear it now. What about Mia??? Here is a picture of her too.


Alright, that's all I got for tonight. I'm off to bed to dream about days to come when I can take cold medication again!

2 comments:

On My Own said...

Don't worry Jessica, I read it! I fell off the couch laughing at little Olivi-yoda! That was greatness! (((I also cheered for your new schedule, you sounded so happy that it actually worked...you should feel like a proud accomplished mommy!!!)))

Amy said...

I'm glad she's taken well to the schedule! Love the pictures.