CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Infertility - I have not forgotten your pain!

Since entering the blog world, I have enjoyed reading other blogs, mainly those involving adoption and infertility. I love reading how God has brought families together through adoption, especially open adoption...something near and dear to my heart. However, it's the blogs about infertility that stir up old wounds and break my heart for those that are living with the IF curse.

I remember that pain. I remember crying so hard over the possibility that I might never be able to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a mother that I would want to crawl in a hole and never come out. I remember avoiding baby showers. I remember coming up with excuses as to why I could not visit family and friends in the hospital following the births of their children. I remember skipping church on Mother's day, Father's day and baby dedication days. I remember cursing Johnson Baby commercials that talked about how having a baby changes everything. I remember walking through the baby departments at stores hoping that one day, I would be buying something for MY baby. I remember my family trying to shield me from news stories about women dumping their babies in trash dumpsters because they knew it would hurt me. I remember the countless comments from family, friends and even complete strangers as to how we could solve our little problem. I remember feeling like the reproductive endocrinologist (let's call him Dr. Doo-Doo! Kriss knows who I am talking about!!!) held my future in his hands and instead of seeing my pain, he saw dollar signs and a new Lexus. I remember the pain of realizing that if I ever wanted to become a mother, it was going to cost me big bucks and even more emotionally.

I also remember the day Evan said he was ready to look into adoption. I had been ready for a while, but he wanted to consider additional IF treatments and had said that if we did adopt, he did not want to go into debt for it. I remember him coming home from work and telling me that we had gone into debt for a lot worse stuff and that if it was God's will for us to adopt, then HE would provide a way. I remember all the paperwork, home study visits, required training and reading that we had to complete to be approved to be parents. I remember the bitterness that most people we knew that were parents did not have to go through any of this. They simply got pregnant!

And I will always, always, always, always remember the day I was at work and my director came to tell me that there was someone named Rachel on the phone from Buckner. My heart stopped because I knew she was the maternity counselor. I remember every detail of that phone call and how as she gave me the information of the prospective birth parents, I cried on the inside because I knew there were too many "red-flags" for Evan to consider meeting them. I remember him FINALLY telling me (after several hours of him praying about it) that we should meet them and if it wasn't God's will, then He would close that door. To use a cliche, the rest is history. Four days after we met Mia's birth family, Mia was born and our dream of becoming parents finally happened. It didn't happen how we planned, and I thank God everyday that it didn't. When I look back at all the negative pregnancy tests, the perfectly timed intercourse because the OV predictor kit said it was time, the IUI that didn't work - I realize that had we conceived, we wouldn't have Mia.

Infertility sucks big time and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Nor would I force the adoption issue on someone that is not ready to look into it as a way to fulfill their dream of becoming parents. However, my heart breaks every time I hear someone say they are spending thousands upon thousands of dollars in the hopes that they can have a "child of their own." Perhaps it was the adoption etiquette training we received at Buckner that has made me a bit touchy about that phrase, but any adoptive parent will tell you that ALL of their children are their own, regardless of how they came to be.

So, to all those that are struggling with infertility...I feel your pain. If you know someone that is struggling with it, keep your mouth shut. Trust me, they have already heard or read anything you are going to say to them about how to get pregnant. And don't you dare throw the, "adopt and you will get pregnant" line at them. That's another touchy one for me that I will most definitely blog about another day! However, I have rambled long enough for today.

3 comments:

Kriss said...

Dr. Doodoo is right!! Great entry Jess. I too have not forgotten the pain. Adoption has definately healed alot of my wounds although it's still hard for me to believe I couldn't conceive. It's evident though God had other plans for me and knew best, as always. Not alot of people get the chance to adopt and it's an honor in my book to be chosen. Although for the life of me can't see what God saw in me to give me such a task. :) -kriss

On My Own said...

I'm right there with you Jess! I feel the pain...and frustration. I look back at when we were struggling just to get choosen for the boys and getting the many phone calls about 5 people we know getting pregnant all within the same month! That hurt so bad. And it's a bunch of bull about once you adopt you'll get pregnant--we won't...it's impossible. But I love my boys and I'm blessed to be given this open door.

Becky said...

Jessica, I think this is beautifully written and shared. If you have been through IF, you never forget! Apparently even after you've gotten pregnant and given birth! Thanks for sharing. That is so mircaulous! You are one of the few that I now know of that had that happen after adopting! What a double blessing to have experienced both!
Steve and I said the other day had we to do it all again, we would skip all the IF treatments, tests, procedures, doctors and thousands of $$ and just move straight to adoption! However, we wouldn't change it for anything now or, we wouldn't have the children that we do!
Blessings!