CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Magic Eraser


Most that know me know that I am bit OCD when it comes to cleaning. I am very particular about my house and try my best to keep it clean, even if no one is coming over. Of the many chores I force upon myself, mopping is a biggy. I try to do it at least once a week (although I would do it more if I could!) and when I do, I use really, really hot water boiled on the stove in an effort to get it extra clean. So, imagine my horror when I spilled something the other day and went to wipe it up with a damp papertowel only to discover that the papertowel came up black. ARGHHHHH!!! Are you freakin' kidding me??? How could my floors be that dirty? Especially since I had just mopped the day before. I decided that an 'ole fashion scrubbing was in order, complete with stiff brush and REALLY sore knees. After doing about a quarter of the dining room, I discovered that the Magic Eraser I was using to get up scuff marks was doing a MUCH better job and I wasn't getting blisters like I was from the scrub brush. My hubby saw me scrubbing and said there had been an article in Popular Mechanics describing how the Magic Eraser works and that it only made sense that it clean the floor better than the scrub brush I was using. Apparently these miraculous little sponges are made from something called melamine foam. See below info from Wikipedia -

Melamine foam is a foam-like material consisting of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. The foam, because of its microporous properties, may remove otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from relatively smooth surfaces. For example, it can remove crayon, magic marker, and grease from painted walls, wood finishings, and grime from hub caps.

The open cell foam is not only microporous, but its polymeric substance is also extremely hard, meaning that it works like sandpaper but on a smaller scale, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the subject being cleaned. On a larger scale, the material feels soft. Because the bubbles interconnect, its structure is more like a maze of fibreglass strands than like the array of separate bubbles in, for example, styrofoam.

The substance needs to be dampened to work properly. It does break down rather rapidly, so a given block of foam generally lasts only a single intensive scrubbing session, though it can be used repeatedly for much smaller marks.

While the name-brand "Magic Eraser" is made by Mr. Clean (Procter & Gamble), the foam itself is manufactured in Germany by BASF under the name "Basotect" and was already a common product before this new use was discovered. Other companies have also begun marketing it for its cleaning properties, either under other names, like Coralite Ultimate Sponge, or as a generic product.

Melamine foam has been used for over 20 years as insulation for both pipes and ductwork. It also has a long history as a soundproofing material for projects like studios, sounds stages and auditoriums.

So, I got rid of the brush and bucket and magically erased the dirt from my kitchen and dining room floors. I couldn't believe the difference it made! My floor looks better than it did brand new although while on my hands and knees, I discovered that I really dislike our vinyl flooring. It's a really porous, thus the reason it attracted so much dirt, and I really think it's made to look a little dirty in spots. Of course, on one hand, that is great. It's obviously done a great job concealing the dirt for the last few years, however, it makes it hard to tell what needs to be scrubbed harder, or just left alone.

I think I am going to start a letter writing campaign to Proctor and Gamble to come out with a "Magic Eraser" mop. My floors may be cleaner, but my knees and back are KILLING me!!!!

2 comments:

On My Own said...

Jess--they have a magic eraser mop! I've only seen it at Garden Ridge in the back by all the "as seen on TV" stuff. My sister and my mom were going to buy it once but for some reason or another decided against it. I love magic eraser, it's a necessity in my art classroom!

Kriss said...

Ooo, since your a pro at cleaning floors wants to come clean mine?? LOL!! Great idea on the mop! I am going to have to check out Garden Ridge. I use the ME to first clean my tub and then follow up with either Mrs. Meyers or Simple Green. If you have never cleaned your bathtub with one, try it. I usually clean my tub and shower by mopping it and the ME mop would be great!! It will get tile scum and ring around the tub like it was nothing without any harshs chemicals. My tub "looked" clean and then when I took the ME to it, all this "stuff" started balling up and it was gross!!! So I always use it first. It also works great on shower glassdoors to get the hard water stains off. Oh and it also works great in the car to get the dash board really clean. I use the Walmart or Target brand ME because it doesn't take long to go through one. OOOOO, and one last thing. Lets say you buy a toy or something from goodwill. I bought a plastic toy and used the ME on it and you wouldn't believe the grime on it. Then I bleached it and washed it for the kids to play with it. I don't think bleach alone would have worked. Now that I have written a ME novel I will go! LOL!